Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, August 6, 2012

GUEST BLOG: SUZANNE LILLY

Photobucket




This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Suzanne will be awarding pair of designer sunglasses to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour (US/Canada only).

Lessons I Learned from my Heroine


In a perfect world we would all know the right things to do for the best possible outcomes. I think that’s part of the appeal to people who go to astrologists and psychics. But in the real world, we have to learn what the right things are, sometimes through painful lessons. In Shades of the Future, Mariah Davis grows through a tragic accident, and becomes a better, stronger young woman for her experience.

I began writing this book thinking that since I was so much older and wiser than her, I would be the one giving advice. But as her story unfolded, and she talked to people in the book about her problems, I began to learn some things about myself. The main thing I learned and reaffirmed is that if you have a valuable goal in your life, it takes work and dedication to reach it.

After writing for several years and not having a novel published, I learned how valuable dedication and perseverance are. I had plenty of short stories and nonfiction articles published, but my goal was to have a novel accepted by a publishing house. That dream came true with this debut novel.

However, sometimes dreams and goals can change, depending on the circumstances in one’s life. I learned it’s alright to give up a goal if it’s not valid anymore. It doesn’t spell failure; instead it means a person is adaptable and flexible. In the book, Mariah’s life takes such a sharp turn, she has to re-evaluate her goals to see which ones still apply to her life. She’s not a failure; in the end she’s a success.

Another thing Mariah learned in the story is no one can do everything alone. Even if you could, why would you want to? Likewise, I learned to rely on other people, especially people from whom I could learn some of the finer points of writing. I still turn to my critique partners, beta readers, and chapter mates for advice and assistance when I’m working on a project. There’s strength in numbers, and as Mariah learned that, I learned it too.

It’s been a wonderful experience, going through the entire process of publication from idea inception to production. There are so many things I learned along the way, and I have my entire team at Turquoise Morning Press to thank for that. They’ve been supportive and helpful, just as the people in Shades of the Future are with Mariah. Whether writing or reading, I hope to continue to grow and change for the better with the help of the people I meet along the way.

I’d love to hear from you. What things have you learned from a character in a book?

About the Author:
Suzanne Lilly is a writer at night and a teacher by day, which is why she’s known online as the TeacherWriter. Her articles and stories have appeared in numerous places online and in print. She writes light romance, young adult, and middle grade novels. When not busy with words, she enjoys swimming, hiking, reading, fine arts, and cooking. She lives in California with her family and furry friends and has yet to feel an earthquake.

You can follow her on Twitter as @suzannelilly, visit her blog at http://www.teacherwriter.net, or her author website at http://www.suzannelilly.com.

Author website: http://www.suzannelilly.com
TeacherWriter blog: http://www.teacherwriter.net
Fridays at Honey Creek blog: http://www.honeycreekbooks.com
Suzanne Lilly at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5258804.Suzanne_Lilly
Follow @SuzanneLilly on Twitter: http://twitter.com/suzannelilly

Watch the video




What would you do if you could see your future? Would you accept it or would you change it?

Mariah Davis loves animals, running, and her hunk of a boyfriend, Kevin Creamer. Everything looks bright for her until the day she finds a pair of sunglasses that allow her to see the future.

When she glimpses a disaster looming, she tries to avoid it but fails. She has a car accident that lands her in a wheelchair, smashing her hopes for a running scholarship to the veterinary program at Ohio State University. She pushes Kevin away, thinking he’ll want to end their relationship now that she can’t walk.

Will she ever learn to trust and love again? She could search for an answer in the sunglasses. But she’s afraid what they reveal might destroy her.


Available at Amazon and most online book retailers in digital or paperback.

5 comments:

  1. I also want to say thank you for your hospitality and giving me this spot for a guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this. I'm so glad you realized your dream, Suzanne. I think you're a wonderful person and it makes me so happy when good things happen to good people. The main thing I learned from a character in one of my stories is to never stop being who you are. People will love you for who you are, and those who don't aren't worth knowing in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of the story. I am really enjoying following your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a valuable lesson from your character, Evelyn. If people don't love you for who you are, then perhaps you don't need to waste your time with them.

    @MomJane Thanks for following along!

    ReplyDelete