Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Sharon Ledwith

Photobucket


What I Did For My Summer Vacation…


Even authors need down time. To think. To process. To plan. To relax. This summer has been both a blessing and a curse. Hot, humid, and pretty much no rain in the forecast. My writing periods consisted of fingers sticking to the mouse pad, fanning myself while doing the one-finger tango with the keyboard, and negotiating with the dog on when I can come out and play ‘throw the stick in the lake’ with him. And then there are those frequent summer guests who invade your space, and actually get you to move away from the computer to interact with them! Really? How can I get my next novel completed with all these crazy distractions?

I guess that’s the point of the summer season. It’s a time of reaping, of enjoying your bounties and family and friendships. It’s a time to chill, to breathe, and to be grateful. This has been such an exceptional summer for me both professionally and personally. And it started off with a bang. Literally. My ebook, The Last Timekeepers and the Arch of Atlantis was released on May 18th, which was Victoria Day Weekend for us Canadians. Fireworks were included in this celebration, along with a book release party to thank all my friends and family for their support. Next it was promotion, promotion, promotion of my book, followed by my yearly stint writing in the Muskoka Novel Marathon, an event held every July, which totes the motto ‘Writers Helping Readers’. All money raised through the Novel Marathon is given to the local literacy chapter to fund and develop new programs to help people raise their skills in reading, writing, and math. I’ve been a part of this wonderful fundraiser in some capacity for the better part of eight years.

Finally, as we approach the downside of summer, one of my biggest dreams came true. At the end of July, I received two boxes full of the paperback version of my book, and got to touch, feel, and smell it for the first time. This is pure joy for an author. A true ‘50 Shades of Writer’! But what topped off this milestone – the icing on this summer’s cake – was getting to meet my young readers and sign copies of my book for them. I still can’t wipe the smile off my face.

Now, where’s that darned dog gone? It’s time to play fetch!

About the Author: Sharon Ledwith is the author of the middle-grade/YA time travel series, THE LAST TIMEKEEPERS, available through Musa Publishing. When not writing, researching, or revising, she enjoys reading, yoga, kayaking, time with family and friends, and single malt scotch. Sharon lives in the wilds of Muskoka in Central Ontario, Canada, with her hubby, a water-logged yellow Labrador and moody calico cat.

Find Sharon online at

Sharon’s Website
Sharon’s Blog
Sharon’s Facebook Page
The Last Timekeepers Series Facebook Page
Twitter

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me a voice here on 'The Long and Short', and supporting authors like me. With summer winding down, it's time to start wiping the sand from my feet and getting back to work. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make the most of summer's last days, Sharon. Winter where you are is bitterly cold!

    Cheers

    Martin
    www.martinbodenham.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that just today, Martin! Sat on the dock with the kids, and threw the stick for the dog! Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Sharon, you are just plain awesome. It was a thrill to meet you at the marathon! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy - you're just as awesome, and the pleasure of meeting you was all mine! Salute!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an idyllic place to be in the good old summertime. Hot and humid here in central NC. Hot and humid in Michigan when I visited my kids in July! Couldn't seem to get away from it this year.

    kareninnc at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hot and humid weather is still here, so I'm making the most of it! Thanks for stopping by, Karen!

      Delete
  5. Great post, sounds like you had a busy summer.
    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingeborg - I'm still sweating from it! Whew! Cheers for surfing through!

      Delete
  6. Oh man, holding that paperback for the first time is indescribable :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Charity, it was such a rush! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great summer, Sharon. Too bad all our ponds have dried up. The dog doesn't know where to go to cool off, but the birds have all enjoyed the additional birdbaths we put out. Hope your winter is super productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cordelia! Hope your ponds get replenished this fall! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. Nothing like a brand new book to keep a smile on a face, is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - I'm still smiling! Cheers for your surf-by!

      Delete
  9. So now I know the secret to why you are so productive. You know how to relax and appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rhea - my dog is my Obi-Wan-Kenobi! Salute!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you have had a busy summer for sure, glad you were able to take time and enjoy it.

    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to recharge the old batteries! Cheers, Jean!

      Delete
  11. Summers are for teachers to recoup their senses as well.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby - too true! Hope you enjoyed your summer and are refreshed enough to shape young minds!

      Delete